Our research team started the year 2013 with 5 research grants that we managed to secured, and 1 research grant that we managed to complete the project.
Successful research grant 2013:
1) Research Acculturation Grant Scheme (RAGS) from the Ministry of Higher Education Malaysia. “High Resolution Optical Waveguide Tactile Sensing Principle“, RM80,000. Leader: Mr. Ahmad Khushairy Makhtar
2) Fundamental Research Grant Scheme (FRGS) from the Ministry of Higher Education Malaysia. “Mimosa Pudica Plant Biomechanism Sensing Principles“, RM148,ooo. Leader: Dr. Nur Ismarrubie Zahari
3) Exploratory Research Grant Scheme (ERGS) from the Ministry of Higher Education Malaysia. “Epigenetic Robotics in Humanoid Robot Assistive Autism Therapeutic Modules“, RM138,000. Leader: Dr. Hanafiah Yussof
4) Research Intensive Faculty (RIF) from UiTM, “Optimized Humanoid Biped Trajectory Generation By Simplified Kinematics Formulation“, RM32,000. Leader: Mr. Saiful Bahari Shaari
5) Exploratory Research Grant Scheme (ERGS) from the Ministry of Higher Education Malaysia. “Simultaneous Particle Swarm Optimization (PSO) Predictive Human Gait Locomotion Characterization“, RM50,000. Leader: Mr. Adam Tan
Completed research grant 2013:
1) Fundamental Research Grant Scheme (FRGS) from the Ministry of Higher Education Malaysia. “Human-Robot Interaction (HRI) Algorithm in Robot-Based Intervention of Children with Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD)“, RM198,400. Leader: Dr. Hanafiah Yussof
The date 15th May 2013 is an important date for my research team where 2 of my students having important presentation for their research study. My Master student Luthffi Idzhar Ismail is having his final viva-voce session for his Master course study, while my PhD student Siti Nora Basir is having her PhD proposal defense presentation session. Congratulation to both Luthffi and Nora for passing the presentations. Luthffi has been awarded with Master in Mechanical Engineering while Nora has passed his proposal defense to pursue with her PhD project.
Luthffi’s Master presentation session “Initial Response Analysis of Robot Based Intervention Program (RBIP) for Children with Autism using Humanoid Robot NAO“. Thank you to Dr. Fazah from Faculty of Medicine as the co-supervisor. Special thanks to Dr. Amir (IIUM) and Dr. Low as external and internal evaluator panels, and thank you to Dr. Aidah for chairing the session.
Nora’s PhD proposal defense presentation session “Development of a New Tactile Sensor based on Bio-Inspired Mimosa Pudica Sensing Mechanism“. Thank you to Prof. Wahyu and Dr. Hayder for the valuable comments.
Small party at Secret Recipe celebrating both students.
We are honored to received guest from Aldebaran Robotics on 9th May 2013. Ms. Sara Sun from Aldebaran Shanghai Office spent one day visit to our lab and faculty (where at the same time I am visiting Aldebaran France office). In this visit we presented our latest progress on robot-based intervention for autism project where humanoid robot NAO is used as the main system. This meeting has strengthen the smart partnership and understanding between HuRoBs and Aldebaran to develop and use NAO as a new therapeutic tool in autism therapy. At the same time, with strong entrepreneurship spirit by both HuRoBs and Aldebaran, mutual understanding has been established for HuRoBs to be the business partner for Aldebaran in sales and technical support for humanoid robot NAO in Malaysia. We are thankful with the trust and support from Aldebaran.
Meeting at HuRoBs Lab
Meeting with FKM Dean and HuRoBs members
During ICRA2013, I had the honor to visit Aldebaran Robotics in Paris France to finalize business partnership with Aldebaran for marketing Humanoid Robot NAO in Malaysia. I am happy to announce that HuroBs in partnership with our local company is now the official sale agent for Humanoid Robot NAO in Malaysia. With this effort, the price for NAO is standardize so that more users in Malaysia will get the chance to purchase and use NAO. The users also will get better technical support from us where we work closely with Aldebaran Shanghai office that cover the Asia Pacific Region.
To purchase NAO in Malaysia, please contact us at email@example.com or call +603-55436455.
Aldebaran Robotics website: http://www.aldebaran-robotics.com/en/
In front of Aldebaran Paris office (a building covered with solar panels)
Pictures with Mr. Sean LV, the sales Director of Aldebaran Shanghai for Asia Pacific Region
Going places; Paris
IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation (ICRA) is the largest conference in robotics. This year ICRA2013 was held in Karlsruhe Germany from 6th to 10th May 2013 (http://www.icra2013.org/). Our paper entitled “Skin Function of Optical Three-Axis Tactile Sensor” was accepted to the conference and presented in Workshop on Research Frontiers in Electronic Skin Technology: Multi-functional bendable and stretchable electronic skin for robots and beyond (http://web.ics.ei.tum.de/~icra2013/skin/index.html). Many high quality presentation with the latest advance research were presented in the 5 days conference. The exhibition floor also display many latest robots and technology related to robotics and automation. From more than 2000 paper submissions only about 600 papers were accepted and presented in this conference. I had amazing experience during the conference and had a nice discussion and networking with some of the top researchers in robotics. I also enjoyed technical visit to Freiburg University where high-end research in robotics were actively conducted.